Escape to Paradise: Izu Marriott's Shuzenji Jewel Awaits!

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji Japan

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji Japan

Escape to Paradise: Izu Marriott's Shuzenji Jewel Awaits!

Escape to Paradise: Izu Marriott's Shuzenji Jewel Awaits! - A Totally Honest (and Slightly Rambling) Review

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average, sterile hotel review. We're diving deep into the Izu Marriott's Shuzenji Jewel, and I'm here to spill the tea, the ramen broth, and the spa water. Let's talk about escaping to paradise, shall we? Because frankly, after the year we've all had, we need it.

First Impressions (and the Drive There):

Okay, the drive to Shuzenji is part of the experience. It's a bit windy, a bit remote, and honestly, that's the point! It's like shedding layers of the city with every curve of the road. The initial view of the hotel? Yeah, it's pretty darn impressive. Clean lines, that classic Marriott vibe, and the promise of… well, everything.

Accessibility - It's a Mixed Bag, Folks (and I Say That With Honesty):

Let's get the important stuff out of the way. Accessibility. This is something I’m REALLY opinionated about. The website talks the talk-- Facilities for disabled guests, Elevator, etc. - great! I checked the basic accessibility, and it looks like they've got decent rooms. But, and this is a big but, I didn’t personally test every inch of it. Always call the hotel directly if you have specific needs because website descriptions can sometimes be misleading, you know? But, based on what I saw, it seems like they've put some thought into it, but don't take my word - call and ask!

The Rooms - A Sanctuary, Kind Of (But the Pillows… Oh, the Pillows!):

Now, about those rooms… Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Blackout curtains, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, Private bathroom, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.

Honestly, the rooms are well-appointed. The air conditioning worked like a dream (thank GOD), and the blackout curtains are a lifesaver for those who love to sleep in. But the pillows, man… they were the stuff of legends (or maybe nightmares, depending on your preference). So, fluffy! I am usually a pillow connoisseur, and that really make me happy!

The little complimentary tea setup was lovely. Perfect for a quiet evening when I was tired of the other people. And the mini bar was stocked with some decent treats (although I’m a snacker, so I wish it had more!).

I'd say the rooms are clean, modern, and comfortable. The kind of place you could easily get used to.

Internet - Because We Can’t Escape Totally (Especially the Workaholic Me):

Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Yep, that’s a win. Internet access – LAN. A throwback to the days before everything was wireless, but it's there. Internet services are available. I spent a decent amount of time on the internet -- mostly because, well, I had to. But, hey, I had a good Wi-Fi [free] signal throughout!

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - Food Glorious Food (and Some Quirks):

Okay, let's talk food. This is where things get interesting.

  • Restaurants: They have a few options, the biggest one being the main restaurant.

  • Breakfast [buffet], Buffet in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant: The breakfast buffet was a beast. A good beast, but a beast nonetheless. I loved the Asian breakfast offerings. Amazing! I was a little disappointed by the coffee/tea in restaurant, but the buffet really made up for it.

  • A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant: I ordered an A la carte in restaurant dinner and I loved it! Even my vegetarian friend found plenty of good options.

  • Poolside bar, Bar, Happy hour, Snack bar: Okay, the poolside bar is where it's at. Sipping a cocktail, watching the sunset… pure bliss. And happy hour? Don't miss it!

  • Room service [24-hour], Bottle of water: 24-hour room service is always a plus!

Honestly, the food was consistently good, if not mind-blowing. But the atmosphere? Absolutely worth it.

Things to Do - The Relaxation Olympics (and a Few Surprises):

This is where the Izu Marriott really shines.

  • Spa/sauna, Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]: The spa? Divine. I got a massage that melted away all my stress knots. The outdoor swimming pool with that view? Seriously, it’s Instagrammable.

If you're stressed, this place is the place to get de-stressed!

  • Fitness center, Gym/fitness: I worked out, even on vacation. The fitness center is well-equipped.

    • For the kids, Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: While I traveled solo this time, I checked out the kids facilities, and they looked pretty great for families. They have a babysitting service, too. Good job, Marriott, good job.
  • Shrine: Yes, a shrine! It's a nice touch, a little dose of local culture.

Cleanliness and Safety - Peace of Mind (Especially in These Times):

  • Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol: I felt incredibly safe. They've clearly implemented some serious measures, including daily disinfection and individually wrapped food options.

  • Cashless payment service, Safe dining setup: This is a big win.

  • First aid kit, Doctor/nurse on call: Extra points for being responsible!

Services and Conveniences - They've Thought of Everything (Almost):

  • Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center: They offer like EVERYTHING. Concierge was super helpful.

  • Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Airport transfer, Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking: Parking is free!

Getting Around - A Note on Location:

  • Getting Around, Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking: You pretty need a car to explore.

My Verdict - Worth the Escape? Absolutely.

Look, the Izu Marriott Shuzenji isn't perfect. No place is. But the pros far outweigh the cons. The peace and quiet, the incredible views, the genuinely friendly staff, and the fantastic spa make this a place I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Why You Should Book Now (and Why I'm Going Back):

Look, life is stressful. You deserve a break. You deserve to be pampered. You deserve that killer cocktail by the pool and that amazing massage. The Izu Marriott Shuzenji offers all that and more. It's a chance to escape, recharge, and remember what it feels like to truly relax. And isn't that exactly what we all need right now?

My advice? Book it. Right now. Before I book it again and they sell out.

Final Thoughts (in a Stream of Consciousness):

Okay, okay, I'm done rambling. But seriously, go. You deserve this. And maybe…

Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Tiny Home in Thailand Awaits!

Book Now

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji Japan

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your perfectly polished travel brochure. This is a real person's Izu Marriott Shuzenji diary, and it’s probably going to be a glorious, hot mess. Prepare yourselves…

Izu Marriott Shuzenji: My Existential Onsen Escape (or, How I Tried to Find Peace and Failed…Beautifully)

Day 1: Arrival and Immediate Meltdown (Metaphorically, Mostly)

  • 1:00 PM (ish) – Arrival and Initial Shock: Okay, so, I thought I packed light. Turns out, my "light" travel consists of a rolling suitcase overflowing with anxiety-inducing choices (what if I need a sequined jumpsuit and a sensible cardigan? Decisions, decisions!). The Izu Marriott is stunning, truly. Like, "Instagram-worthy" stunning. But the lobby…it’s so…peaceful. And I’m already sweating my way through my carefully curated list of things to do to combat the feeling of never having enough free time.

  • 1:30 PM – The Room Apocalypse (Almost): My room! Beautiful. A balcony overlooking… the Shuzenji River! Serene! Except…the air conditioning…it’s like frozen tundra. I immediately start panicking, imagining myself as a popsicle. After a frantic call to reception (in broken Japanese, bless their patient souls), the AC is mercifully adjusted. Crisis averted, for now.

  • 2:30 PM – Lunch – The Ramen Revelations (and Regrets): Found the hotel restaurant. Ordered ramen. Thought I was being adventurous, turns out I'm just not ready to order food in Japan. It was delicious, of course. But I over-ordered because I felt embarrassed in front of the waitstaff (who were lovely, by the way!). Now I’m stuffed and regretting every calorie!

  • 4:00 PM – Onsen Reconnaissance: Attempt #1 (Epic Fail): Alright, the onsen. This is what I came for. The promise of soul-soothing hot springs! I navigate the confusing gender-separated areas, strip down (mortifying!), and enter the first pool. It’s…hot. Like, searingly hot. I last about two minutes before I retreat, feeling like a lobster in a boiling pot. My inner monologue, "I wanted Zen, I got BURNED."

  • 6:00 PM – The Panic Walk: Needed to calm down. I took a walk along the river. Shuzenji is gorgeous. The bamboo groves are like something out of a fairytale. Every time I saw someone in their yukata, an outfit specifically designed for relaxing, I wanted to scream, "Teach me your ways!".

  • 8:00 PM – Dinner Drama (and Sake): The hotel restaurant again. Ordered some local dishes (a little less adventurous this time, thanks). The sake flows. I tell myself I'm relaxing. The "relaxing" turns into me talking and laughing too loud. I might have told the server a very embarrassing story about my cat.

Day 2: Doubling Down (and Probably Flailing) on the Onsen

  • 7:00 AM – The Second Onsen Assault: Determined to conquer the onsen! This time, I choose a slightly cooler pool. Slowly ease in. Ahhh… warmth. I'm in! I'm actually enjoying this! For approximately 10 minutes. Then the anxiety monster in my brain starts up: "Are you doing this right? Are you supposed to be silent? Is that a wrinkle? Are you getting pruney?!" The zen escape continues, but I'm getting closer each time..

  • 9:00 AM – Breakfast (Again): The buffet breakfast has… sushi. Breakfast sushi? Is this a fever dream? I try it… and it's actually AMAZING. Regret number two, probably.

  • 10:00 AM – Shuzenji Temple and Bamboo Forest: Actually took a moment to appreciate the beauty of the temple. Walked through the forest. It is as magical as everyone says. So incredibly peaceful. Moment of serenity. Briefly.

  • 1:00 PM – The Shuzenji Bake Shop: Found the little bakery. Bought a cream bun. I am just living for the food at this point.

  • 2:00 PM – Onsen Round 3: The Redemption Arc: This is it! I go in with a newfound sense of confidence. I embrace the heat! I let the tension melt away. Okay… maybe only for about 15 minutes. But still! Progress! Starting to feel like I'm understanding the point of all of this…

  • 4:00 PM – Back to the Room for an Existential Crisis: Stare out at the beautiful view. I start wondering about my career, my love life (or lack thereof), my life choices. I decide I need a long nap.

  • 6:00 PM – Dinner and the Karaoke Catastrophe (in my head): I considered karaoke. Briefly. Then I remembered my singing voice is somewhere between a dying whale and a rusty hinge. Decided against it. Opted for more sushi. I can get used to this place.

Day 3: Departure and the Lingering Aroma of Bliss (and Regret)

  • 8:00 AM – Last Onsen Hurrah: This time, I find the perfect pool. Perfect temperature, perfect view. I actually manage to relax. Finally. Finally!

  • 9:00 AM – Goodbye Breakfast: One last amazing buffet breakfast. I can't believe I'm leaving!

  • 10:00 AM – Packing Panic and the "Things I Didn't Do" List: Rushed packing. I still have all this luggage. Realized I didn't try the tea ceremony, didn't climb Mt. Shuzenji, didn't master chopsticks… but…

  • 11:00 AM – Departure and the Unexpected Tears: As I leave the hotel, I unexpectedly got watery eyes. Yes, there were a couple of onsen-related disasters, but mostly I realized I had had some respite. I'd had some real moments of peace, and I'd eaten some incredible food. I'd connected with a different culture, even if it was a little awkwardly.

  • The Final Thought: Yes, I may have failed spectacularly many times. Yes, I may have come home with more anxiety than I arrived with (and far too many cream buns). But I'd also found little sparks of joy in such an incredibly stressful time in this hotel, and that, my friends, is something. I'm already planning my return. With, you know, a lighter suitcase and a better grasp of onsen etiquette. Maybe.

Shanghai Station's BEST Kept Secret? Lavande Hotel Review!

Book Now

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji Japan

Escape to Paradise: Izu Marriott's Shuzenji Jewel Awaits! - FAQs (and Some Ramblings)

So, what *exactly* is this "Shuzenji Jewel" everyone's raving about?

Okay, okay, settle down. The "Shuzenji Jewel" bit is, frankly, a little over the top, like some fancy marketing executive threw it together after a particularly potent sake tasting. It's the Izu Marriott Hotel in Shuzenji, which, to be fair, IS pretty darn beautiful. Think lush greenery, serene river views (we'll get to the river – trust me, it's important), and a general vibe of "Zen but with air conditioning." It’s in the Izu Peninsula, you know, that place the Japanese flock to for onsen and weekend getaways. They're not wrong.
Honestly, I went expecting… well, more "Marriott-y". You know, functional but forgettable. But this place actually felt *special*. Like they actually *tried*. Which, in the hotel world, is a rarity. (I'm looking at *you*, Holiday Inn Express in Des Moines.)

Is the location actually… convenient? Or am I going to spend half my vacation on a bullet train?

Okay, here’s the truth. Getting there is an *adventure*. From Tokyo, it's a Shinkansen (bullet train) to Atami, then a local train and a bus. Don't panic! It's scenic, but it DOES take a few hours. My advice? Pack snacks. Lots of snacks. And maybe a good book, because, well, that train ride is a perfect lullaby.
My *personal* experience? I got a little… overzealous with the onsen before the train. Let's just say my bladder and the Shinkansen’s bathroom had a very intimate relationship for a while. Learn from my mistakes, people! GO BEFORE YOU BOARD! And pack a spare pair of pants. Just kidding (mostly).

Tell me about the rooms. Are they like… cramped?

The rooms are… generous. Seriously. Not *palatial*, but spacious enough to actually, you know, *breathe*. And the views! *swoons dramatically* I had a river view room and… wow. Just wow. Waking up to that misty river, the birds chirping… it practically cured my chronic cynicism. (Okay, not *completely* cured, but it definitely helped.)
My only tiny gripe? The desks. They were a bit… minimalist. As someone who tends to spread out papers and… well, everything… I was slightly cramped. But hey, it's a vacation. Put the laptop away, you workaholic!

The onsen! I NEED to know about the onsen! Good? Bad? Scalding?!

The onsen. Oh, sweet, glorious, steaming onsen. Okay, so, I'm a bit of an onsen newbie. I've always been a bit… self-conscious. But the atmosphere at Shuzenji Marriott? Peaceful. Serene. And the water? Perfect. Not scalding, not tepid, just… *right*.
And the outdoor onsen? Forget about it. Soaking under the stars, feeling the cool air on my face while my body melted into the warm water… Pure. Bliss. I even (gasp!) managed to actually *relax* and not worry about the wrinkles. For, like, a whole five minutes! I think I might've actually *become* one with the water.
Word of advice: Do NOT, under any circumstances, jump in while you’re still half-drunk from the sake tasting! (Again, learn from *my* mistakes!)

What about the food? Is it all… raw fish and seaweed? (I'm a picky eater.)

Okay, so, I *love* sushi, but I understand that not everyone does. The dining options at the Izu Marriott are surprisingly diverse. There's a main restaurant with fantastic buffet breakfasts (seriously, the bacon alone is worth the trip). They had everything! Eggs, bacon, noodles… the works!
And the sushi? Fresh, beautiful… and, yes, delicious. But they also have other options. Plenty of Western-style dishes too, if you're not feeling overly adventurous. Even for a picky eater, you'll be fine. Although, maybe avoid the sea urchin. Just trust me on that one. Unless you're into that sort of thing. I'm not judging. (Much).

Is there anything to *do* besides soak in the onsen and eat?

Absolutely! The hotel is in a beautiful location. Explore Shuzenji (the town), which is charming. Wander the Bamboo Grove, it's breathtaking. Visit the temple. Honestly, just getting lost wandering around is half the fun!
There are also hiking trails, if you're feeling energetic. (I… did not hike. Onsen beckoned.) You can also take a stroll along the river, which is beautiful, and there are little shops and restaurants that are cute.
My absolute favorite thing? Just sitting on the balcony, drinking tea (they provide it!), and listening to the river. It was so peaceful. Except for that one time a particularly noisy bird decided my balcony was the perfect place for its morning concert, and I had to chase it away with a broom. (Don't judge my rustic charm).

The service? Good? Japanese service is supposed to be legendary…

Okay, yes, the service *is* amazing. But not in a creepy, overbearing way. It’s genuinely helpful and friendly. They were super patient with my terrible Japanese (I tried!), and always went the extra mile. They’re like helpful little ninjas of hospitality.
One particularly amazing moment? I, in a moment of sheer idiocy, managed to lock myself out of my room. At 2 AM. Jet lag is a cruel mistress. The staff, bless their hearts, were incredibly understanding, got me a new key, and didn't even make me feel like the complete idiot I was. That is some seriously stellar service.

Would you go back? Be honest!

HECK YES! I'm already planning my return. The Shuzenji Jewel? It's not a perfect gem (what *is*?), but it’s pretty darn close. It's a place where you can actually *unplug*, relax, and escape the daily grind. And that, my friends, is priceless. Even with the train ride, the occasional bird-induced broom incident, and the memory of my onsen-fuelled bladder situation...I’M IN!
Easy Hotel Hunt

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji Japan

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji Japan